As Nigerians await the results of the presidential and national assembly elections, many analysts are focused on the South-West region of the country as the region has been identified as the battle ground for the presidential contest.
While some analysts have predicted a victory for incumbent, President Goodluck Jonathan, others have argued that opposition candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari is favoured to capture the majority votes from the zone.
Naijahero.net brings to you, foot-soldiers of Buhari in the region, who are expected to mobilize votes in favour of their political principal.
1. Professor Yemi Osinbanjo: The vice-presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) is not a typical politician. But he has proven to be a strong mobilizer of people. From preaching change in BRT buses, to visiting people in their homes and even calling ordinary Nigerians on the phone, Osinbanjo has shown that he is just not an ordinary aspirant.
2. Governor Ibikunle Amosun: His political affiliation with Buhari dates back to their time as members of the All Nigerian People’s Party (ANPP). A chartered-accountant by training, even his opponents know Amosun is not a push over in politics. If his popularity is anything to go by, then virtually everyone in in Ogun state will queue behind their governor in voting for Buhari.
3. Governor Babatunde Fashola: A proven performer, the politician in him manifested during the campaign period as he continually lambasted the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan. Fashola has his work cut out for him, because of the political in-roads made by the PDP in Lagos, but given the affection he enjoys from Lagosians, the Senior Advocate of Nigeria is expected to deliver Nigeria’s populated state to his party.
4. Ogbeni Rauf Aregbeshola: If there is any politician in the South-West whose popularity is increasing on a daily basis, then the Osun state governor is your best bet. Brash, aggressive and confrontational. “Arege” as he is fondly called, is one politician that understands the strategies of the ruling party, and he is always on hand to counter them. With Aregbesola in Osun state, Jonathan can say goodbye to Osun votes.
5. Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu: The former governor of Lagos state is no doubt a political colossus. His influence in the region and even beyond cannot be taken for granted by the PDP. He is expected to be the rallying political force behind the foot soldiers on the field to deliver the region’s votes to Buhari.